The LRGVDC promotes cooperation among local units of government and provides forums and opportunities for them to work with economic interests and citizen groups in order to improve the region's health, safety, and general welfare and to plan for future development.
State law authorizes commissions like the LRGVDC to make studies and plans to guide unified, far-reaching development of a region, eliminate duplication, and promote economy and efficiency through coordinated development.
Benefits of regional planning and program implementation include:
- Economies of scale
- Efficiencies of good government
- Local governmental control
- Cooperative public/private partnerships
- State support and confidence
- Comprehensive planning and program implementation